Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Song for the trail

One of the jobs that I sometimes do here at Clearwater is transport people from our lodge to a different lake, or pick people up from a lake and bring them back. I usually enjoy this job because I get to socialize with different people, and listen to what they have to tell me. I heard this bit of information through the grape vines so do not hold it against me it is false, but one group that I was driving to Breakskin told me that there has never been a bear attack in Minnesota with a group larger than three members. The reason for this is because smaller groups just do not produce the same level of noise as larger groups. I found this to be great information to know because whenever I begin a portage that thought of some animal lurking in the forest just waiting to make their move on me is there. When I twisted my body out of the canoe, and put my two feet on the Caribou portage I started thinking about a different conversation I had. Two days earlier I was talking to a man that told me he saw a dead deer with paw prints around the deer on the same portage that we were soon to begin, so of course everyone knows what I was thinking about... Our group portaged aways in complete silence, and I knew I had to do something. I got to thinking and this short tune popped into my head. I belted a few verses out, and for a little bit it was not only me singing. Animals usually do not want human company, but if a human sneaks up on an animal they may get more aggressive.

Trail Song
Aint no bear going to get me today, get me today, get me today.
Aint no bear going to get me today because I'll be singing my song.
I want all bears to turn on around, turn on around, turn around, I want all bears to turn on around when they hear me singing this song
Aint no mountain lion going to eat me tonight, eat me tonight.
Aint no mountain lion going to eat me tonight and thats a goll darn fact.
Aint no wolve pack going to track me down tonight, track me down tonight.
Aint no wolve pack going to track me down tonight and that's the beauty of the song.
Ps- Improv is key in this song.

No comments: