Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hanging Garden



We had a group stay upstairs in the lodge this morning and they left really early in the morning. I could hear them outside talking about seeing our morning bears. When I went down to the lodge the first thing I checked was my bird feeder. Yep, another 10 lbs of bird seed gone and piles and piles of bear scat. Do they think exchanging seed for scat is a good bargain for me??





On to my gardening. I was raised in Indiana and the home grown tomatoes in IN are the best. I have a guests that brings me some up every summer and I wait for him to come. Our growing season is so short and the ground so rocky growing tomatoes never seemed reasonable to me around the lodge. So this summer I have 4 tomato plants in containers that I have on the side porch of the lodge and I am experimenting with upside down hanging planters. In those I have 1 tomato, 2 bell peppers and 1 zucchini squash. We will see how this works and if the bears decide these nice hanging plants might be there just for them.

Lynn

No comments: