Monday, October 12, 2009

Clearing Trees on the Resort

One of the reasons that I am staying in Grand Marais for a time after we closed is because we are starting a tree clearing project that I was hoping would start before I left for IN. In conjunction with a forest service grant, we are clearing all the balsam, dead and downed wood from our property. Balsam is extremely flamable and needs to be removed. This is being done for fire prevention.

Larger pines are being pruned 6 feet up from the ground. At first I didn't like this look when a couple of trees were cut back but I quickly got used to and like the look. It is also so much easier to keep the ground cleaned up below the trees.

We decided not to start the clearing during the season when guests would be visiting since it is a bit instrusive but I have to wonder now if we missed our window of opportunity with it snowing now.

Lynn

No comments: