Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How does my garden grow?


If you have been reading the blog, you know I planting a hanging garden on the lodge stairs this spring. It has been an interesting experience. The plants seem to hold the water well and the tomato has flurished. The zuchini now has blossoms but the pepper plants are about the same size as they were when I planted them.
I am hoping something produces veggies before the first frost. But, I can always move this garden into the lodge if it starts getting too cold.
What have I learned about this experience?? It is great for tomatos but next summer I would plant the hanging gardens in the lodge as soon as the heat was on so I could get six weeks of growing time before I move them outside. I would do it again as it has been fun and easy. So far no animals have raided my veggie patch so I have been lucky. It would be great for small space living or rocky ground like ours. If interested, order your hanging containers really early because they were sold out every place I looked this spring and it took a month for my order to come in.
Weather note: Mild but sunny today in the lower 70's. Still good sleeping weather at night in the 40's or good camp fire weather if you are in the BWCA.

No comments: