Friday, May 29, 2009

Eggs and Sausage


As the kitchen rapidly filled with smoke I lunged over to the stove, killed the burners and looked down with a mixture of frustration, disbelief and latent amusement at the skillet of burnt butter. Mental note number 37: Keep a low flame and close eye on butter, this stove gets hot in a hurry. Hello, I'm Michael and I'll be cooking breakfast this morning. Would you like to hear mental note number 1? Don't blow up the kitchen trying to light the oven. Lynn knows how to get to the important stuff first. Those who have done any sort of cooking know the importance of familiarity in ones kitchen. Everything has its place and in order for things to run smoothly you gotta have your bearings. With each passing day I pick up countless nuances, tricks, and lessons about my new office. By now (it's been two weeks already!!) I can find my way around and feel a comfortable confidence shufflling around the stove or running between the refrigerator and table. With a cup of coffee in one hand and a spatula in the other I am enjoying the morning hours of my day as much as ever. This late-sleeping college kid is strangely enough becoming a morning person. Maybe it's the buzz around the early-day-hub of the kitchen beginning around 8:00AM when people dart in and out grabbing coffee or a bite to eat as they get their day started, or perhaps it's the inherent satisfaction that comes with the act of feeding people. Did I mention I get to cook on a stove that is three times my age? Cool! Whatever it is I am ready to fully embrace the days first meal, and lately, although I rarely have it all figured out until that morning, I have begun to relish being asked, "What's for breakfast, Michael?"
Stay tuned for more tales from the breakfast table...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michael a morning person!? I bet the kitchen is a nice warm place on those chilly mornings. Best, M.D.