Sunday, May 18, 2008

Well Lynnette and I did end up making it out hiking yesturday. We decided to chance despite the omiounous thunder clouds and so we drove up the Gunflint trail to hike out to Magnetic rock. (we did not bring anything magnetic unfortunatley to test the name). As you can see we were pretty excited and all decked out in rain gear for our little hike. All in all it was probably about a 5 mile hike, there and back, and well worth it. Although it was sad to see the burn areas from last years fire, it was also a heartening sight to see the new growth happening. We also decided to stop down at Gunflint Lodge and look around since I had never been there before. And we were very surprised to see a family of foxes wondering the property. We had plently of opportunity for pictures, so here is a nice one of the mom and baby for you all to enjoy. I must so the picture really does not due them justice.









An interesting Tid-bit for everyone:
This little blurb from the boreal.org website noted that "Esquire magazine names the country’s best bars in the 3rd annual list of “The Best Bars in America” in their upcoming June issue on newsstands, Tuesday, May 13th. This guide is a culmination of dive bars, hot spots, the best cocktails, beers, atmosphere, ambiance and everything else that falls in between. The Trail Center in Grand Marais has been chosen as among one of the bars selected in this cross country compilation! "I was there last about a year and a half ago," said author Charlie Homans. "Being from Minnesota, I go up to the Boundary Waters semi- regularly, and I always really liked stopping by the Trail Center on my way to and from the lakes."


I just thought some of you may find that intersting, and I can say the food is excellent... I just had a cheeseburger & cajun French fries not even an hour ago.
-From the North Woods, AJ-

No comments: