Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mike Kwas



Mike is back for a second year at the lodge. He was here in 2008, in 2009 did a internship for college and returning to Clearwater for the 2010 season. Mike does a lot of our maintenance. He is pretty handy with a hammer, paint brush and any other tool he picks up. To distinguish him from the owner Mike, we call him Kwas. That saves us a lot of confusion on the walkie/talkies. Mike has tackled a lot of cabin maintenance this spring. I see cabin doors and windows lined up at the garage being scrapped and painted and repaired. I head the chain saw and see truck loads of brush going by. We hear Kwas radio for help now and again for some heavy lift project he has started.

Kwas attends University of WI, Whitewater and majors in Biology / Environmental Sciences.

Kwas is on his second overnight canoe/camping trip since he got here late May. The crew this year is trying not to waste one day off and taking advantage of the all that the BWCA has to offer. Today he and Jim headed out of Duncan Lake for an overnight and last week it was out of Clearwater Lake for a Johnson Falls trip. It is so nice to have returning staff like Lily,Tori, Erik and Kwas. Everyone knows what needs to be done and just tackles. We feel with such as experienced staff that we can leave the resort when necessary in their capable hands.

1 comment:

Clearwater Lodge said...

In response to this scathing unofficial biography I (Kwaz) would like to make it perfectly clear that I did not authorize this liturgy of liable and had nothing to do with the post. In any event most of the information was factual but unfortunately some of the finer details were a bit off. I did attend UW-Whitewater a few years ago but have since moved up in the world to UW-Stevens Point. I am Majoring in water resource management with a minor in soil sciences. Despite my previous plans I am not gong to be returning to school this next semester due to scheduling conflicts among classes, so I intend to find winter and spring work up here on the trail.

As far as my role here at Clearwater I see myself as a behind the scenes kind of guy. A fixer if you will. My normal duties include maintaining water quality, painting, minor construction, and of course, making sure everything works at all times, which it never does. Some of the recent projects I have been working on include repainting the exterior of all the cabins, replacing torn/broken screens, raising the concrete gas house a few feet to stop it from sliding down the hill, releving a sinking dock, building a staff garden, and on and on and on. I love the work and am always faced with new challenges on a daily basis.

In my off time I enjoy hiking and camping in the BWCA but usually try to stay off the beaten path. I only fish for food and am really not into it for sport. On those wonderful rainy days I can usually be found in the shop playing around with some diamond willow, basswood, or birch. My former room mate and current coworker Jim have begun brewing a bit up here and I have been gaining interest in the subject. Anyway this bio has gone on long enough, so if anyone is actually reading this feel free to ask any questions that may arise.
-Kwaz