Friday, April 04, 2008

Nature's Speed Bumps

When I returned to the lodge a few days ago, I was so happy to see that the ice and snow was gone from the Gunflint Trail. That alone cuts my travel time to Grand Marais by about 1/3rd. I don't want to be one those cars or trucks I see off the side of the road during the winter embedded in the snow. We seemed to have a lot of ice on the Gunflint Trail this winter.

With the freeze and thaws of this time of the year, the Gunflint Trail is little like a roller coaster. At the seams in the road it buckles up or down until the ground fully thaws out. I found myself driving a little too fast this morning to Grand Marais and airborne a few times. After hanging onto the steering wheel just to stay in my seat and bouncing the dog around in the back seat, I decided that the speed limit was a little wiser! At the speed limit, it is at least a mild roller coaster ride. Nature was reminding me to drive safely - which is better than the warning I have gotten from my local Sheriff!

We still have at least a foot of snow on the ground and probably more deeper in the woods but it is 45 degrees already today. I either skate across my parking lot or sink into the mud depending upon the time of day and the temperatures. As someone told me this morning, at least the mud is an indication that we are really going to have spring soon.

We are counting down to the Gunflint Green Up!!

No comments: