Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Short Days

Lynn's Musings on December 19th:

With sunrise at 7:45 am and sunset at 4:10 pm you can tell we are nearing the the shortest day of the year. Winter begins officially on December 21st but it has been here with us for a month.

We are having a gentle snow fall today here at mid-trail and are watching the weather for potentially more snow by this weekend. After temperatures well below normal, we are have now been running about 5 degrees above normal - which is very enjoyable since I know the cold that is coming after the first of the year.

I decided this winter that it was time I got a bird feeder up. So I hung up my bird feeder and bought 50lbs of bird seed. The darn feeder has been up for a week and not one bird is showing any interest in it. I think I am going to have to find another spot for it, but it is rather hard to move a move birder to another tree when there is a foot of snow on the ground. If anyone has any suggestions on how to attract the birds to the feeder, I would appreciate hearing it.

I lost several of my satellite TV channels the other day (yes, I have TV here). I was really puzzled and I did all the trouble shooting with satellite service but could not recover the channels. I decided to try one last thing before getting a service call and that was to knock some ice cycles off the lodge that were in front of the satellite. That did it, the channels came back right away. Another thing to add to my winter list of things to watch out for.

No comments: