Monday, March 05, 2007

Ice Candle Holder


I experimented with making ice candle holders this winter. I wanted to line them up on the lodge porch. I was successful with a few of them, but then those blew off the porch this past weekend with the high winds. They shatter just like glass.
To make these, you feel a balloon with water and put it outside on a flat surface to form a base. Depending upon the temperature outside you bring it in when the outter walls are frozen but there is still water in the center. For me, at 20 below zero, this took about 5 hours. You break out the balloon and pour the water out. If your timing was right, you have have a hollow ball of ice that you put a candle in. If your timing is wrong, the walls are either too thin and break or you have a solid ball of ice. I had a few of both of those before I figured out the timing.

This is a great project for kids during the winter.

No comments: