Thursday, June 23, 2011

Made from scratch rhubarb muffins

The big rhubarb plant at Clearwater Lodge produced its first crop of the season, just in time for the summer solstice. In celebration of the fresh rhubarb and the longest day of the year and a full breakfast dining room, I decided to bake up rhubarb and almond muffins to compliment our famous buttermilk pancakes, and the reviews from both customers and crew were jubuliant.

The recipe came out of the official Clearwater Lodge cookbook, and so the exact contents are - naturally - top secret, but I thought the base combination of eggs and buttermilk and brown sugar made a pleasing still-life along with the chopped rhubarb and almonds.
I was pretty happy with the final product, but I'm always tweaking recipes as I go and I'd like to try this again with about double the rhubarb content. Surely some folks might find this 'overly rhubarby' but I can never get enough of that amazing sour flavor.

You can bet we'll be doing lots more with rhubarb here at Clearwater Lodge over the next few months, and I'm especially looking forward to combination pies using locally-picked berries - strawberries should be here very soon with the abundant rainfall over the previous 36 hours.

-am

No comments: