Monday, October 08, 2007

Snow in our forecast

When I was driving down the trail today I was enjoying the last of the fall colors but I kept thinking that winter was just around the corner. Back at the lodge I checked my trusty mid-Trail weather forecast and yup, there is snow in the future - tonight. I frequently feel that we got from summer right into winter some years. I could use a longer fall season.

We are in what I call 'winter mode'. The summer cabins are closed up and cabin 7 and the lodge are now open for winter. Peggy and Mike are back in OH for the next 6 months enjoying the grandson Isaiah. Outfitting is pretty much closed up although we do have a few intrepid paddlers out there coming back in over the next few days.

We have had rain, boy have we had rain. September broke all types of records and I heard from 12' to 20' inches in different places on the trail. It has been raining non-stop for the past 3 days and that is what may turn into snow tonight. The docks on Aspen Lake as I drove by today are underwater. Clearwater Lake is filling up nicely but our docks must be higher because there is no threat of them being under water yet. After the Ham Lake Fire this spring and the Cavity Lake Fire last August, I have told myself I will never complain about rain again - so this is NOT a complaint.

We have certainly broken our drought cycle. It makes me wonder how much snow we will have this winter if this keeps up. You will have to come and see!

No comments: