Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Web site updates

One of my projects for this winter is learning how to update our website. Last summer, we made software changes that allow us to do all our own web site updating. Along with that, high speed satelite internet came to the Gunflint Trail and we upgraded last June. Part of my winter reading has been books for 'Dummies' on web site HTML and site optimization.

Today I tackled updating all the cabin and and canoe trip rates. That did not take long, but each page I went into I felt needed fresher pictures and better, clearer information. Maybe for someone else with experience this is quick and easy, but I spent about 4 hours just updating the Ultralight canoe trip page with new pictures and new formating. Even after 4 hours I haven't finished all the updates I want to do on that one page. While doing this I made pages of notes on other things I want to update and pictures I want to add.

Most of today was figuring out how the software works. I have been told this is user friendly software but it took me awhile to find the hidden tables and columns you need to actually format a page. I am sure this will get easier the more I work on!

I did go through files and files of pictures. It makes me long for summer and canoe trips after looking at all those photos I collected over the last couple of years.

Lynn

No comments: